By Femi Paseda
If you have thought that egg white omelettes were never as good as the usual ones, think again. While omelettes are not as common in Nigeria as in other countries, it is worth trying because it is so delicious.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 10 mins.
Total Time: 20 mins.
Servings: 1 Piece
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup chopped scallions green parts
- ⅓ cup firm cherry tomatoes halved
- Olive oil spray
- For three minutes, preheat a non-stick skillet at medium heat.
- In the meantime, aggressively whisk the egg whites with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a medium bowl until foamy. Add the parmesan and whisk.
- Fold the tomatoes and green onions into the egg whites using a spatula.
- Spray the skillet with olive oil spray sparingly, add the egg whites, and fry them while tilting them to spread them out evenly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low until the edges begin to set. Lift the omelette’s edges carefully and frequently as you tilt the skillet to let the still-runny egg whites slide to the bottom, where they will cook more quickly.
- Carefully flip the omelette when the bottom is cooked, and the surface is no longer runny but still moist.
- The omelette should only be cooked for a few more seconds after being flipped before the heat is turned off.
- Then you can fold the omelette, place it on a platter, and serve.