Rice tuwo, also known as tuwo shinkafa, is a simple West African dish made from rice flour. It’s often served with soup or stew and is a staple in many households. Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Cook Time: 10 mins.
Total Time: 15 mins.
Servings: 4 servings
• One teaspoon of salt
• Two cups (400g) of rice flour
1. In a non-stick pan, mix salt with 4 cups of water and heat it till boiling.
2. Add rice flour to the boiling water. Stir it fast with a spoon.
3. Turn the heat down and keep stirring for 10 minutes until it’s like a thick ball. Then, switch off the stove and let it cool a bit.
4. Once it’s cool but still warm, dampen your hands and take some dough.
5. Shape it into a round ball. Enjoy it with your favorite soup or stew.
West African Peanut Soup, locally known as “Groundnut Soup,” is a cherished Nigerian delicacy.
This creamy blend of peanuts and spices offers a taste of home, making it a favorite in many Nigerian households.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins.
Servings: 6 servings
• One cup of peanut
• One tablespoon of crayfish
• Salt to taste
• ½ cup of Palm oil
• Two teaspoons of grated ginger
• Two seasoning cubes
• One large tomato
• One bell pepper
• One large onion
• One habanero pepper
• One smoked turkey thigh
• One lb. of beef
• A handful of spinach
1. Wash the beef, add seasoning, and boil.
2. Roast the peanuts until they’re browned, around 5 minutes.
3. Grind the peanuts until they’re smooth using a grinder.
4. After boiling the beef for 10 minutes, add the roast turkey pieces. Cook until the meat is soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Blend the peppers, tomatoes, and half of the onion.
6. To the meat pot, add the blended mix, crayfish, palm oil, and the ground peanuts. Cook it all together.
7. Mix in the ground peanuts until they blend well in the stew. Let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
8. Add the spinach and let it sit for 2 more minutes.
9. Serve it hot with rice or traditional foods like Fufu or pounded yam. Enjoy!