By Femi Paseda
African Irio is a mix of peas, corn, and mashed potatoes, and I must say it is one recipe you do not want to miss. This recipe is also very filling and is something you can prepare to work or to school for the kids. If you‘re looking for something special, the African Irio is the best of the lot.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 20 mins.
Total Time: 30 mins.
- 1 cup of green peas
- 1 Cup of corn
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 pounds of potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the potatoes and chop them into four pieces apiece.
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes, peas, and corn with just enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Allow for 20 minutes of simmering time or until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the excess water, but leave a small amount in the saucepan to facilitate mashing.
- Season with salt and black pepper, then mash the potatoes with a fork, wooden spoon, or potato masher until smooth.
- Stir in the butter until everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately.