By Femi Paseda
Most people complain that they’ve tried to use rice in different variations but to no avail. They claim that rice is boring, leaving them with no other option but to try something new and exciting. The truth is that rice is exciting; you just need to try Caribbean rice. It’s tasty and excellent for people looking for something new to eat; it’s also super easy to prepare.
Prep Time: 45 mins.
Cook Time: 30 mins.
Total Time: 1hr 15mins.
Servings: 5 People
- 3 cup fried ripe plantain cubes
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 spoons browning
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper optional
- Pepper to taste
- 3 seasoning cubes
- 3 cups of rice
- 150 ml of vegetable oil
- 2 kg Chicken
- Salt to taste
- 400 g beef cube
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced green pepper
- Slice the green pepper, onions, carrot, plantain, and beef with care, making sure to cook the beef first.
- Flavour the chicken with 2 seasoning cubes, 1 teaspoon curry and 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ cup chopped onion. When the chicken is done, grill it and set the stock aside.
- Season the beef cubes with 1 seasoning cube and a touch of salt as well. Add one cup of hot water and boil until it is very tender.
- Set aside the plantain after it has been fried.
- Cook 3 cups of rice until almost done; you don’t want it to be overcooked!
- Stir in two spoonfuls of browning to the rice and set aside.
- Combine the chicken and beef stock. It should not exceed a cup.
- Heat up your cooking pot and add 100 ml of vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the pre-cooked beef cubes. Fry till it turns dark. Remove the meat cubes and add the remaining sliced onions to the pan. Stir in the green pepper, red bell pepper, and carrot slices.
- Add the chicken/beef stock, a teaspoon of salt, preferably a cube of knorr, and a teaspoon of ground pepper. Mix everything together.
- Allow a minute before adding the browned rice. Turn evenly, taste for salt, and add another cube of spice if desired. When the taste is satisfactory, add the fried meat and fried plantain.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes after properly turning.
- Serve and enjoy.