4.5 C
New York
Thursday, February 29, 2024

A woman’s motherhood journey through the valley of death!

In general, doctors say, every pregnancy is a risk. For Mrs. Adeola Fayehun, being pregnant on two occasions nearly resulted in death as she battled all sorts of complications, ranging from Rh Factor to excessive amniotic fluid that choked her relentlessly, and a post-partum internal hemorrhage that doctors felt she might not survive.

The mother-of-two and a distinguished journalist who is the host of Keeping It Real with Adeola, shared her unusual near-death experience as an expectant mother

Adeola Fayehun and husband Victor

First pregnancy
“My name is Adeola, and I have been married to Victor Fayehun for over 10 years. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, Zion, we went to the hospital, and different tests were done. The results of my blood test showed that I have a B-negative blood type. So, I was told that I had to take a RhoGAM shot.

“According to medical sources, RhoGAM is a brand name for an injection that contains Rh immunoglobulin (RhIg). RhIg is a blood product that is used to prevent Rh isoimmunization, a condition that can occur during pregnancy when an Rh-negative mother is carrying an Rh-positive baby. I took the shot twice during the pregnancy, and everything went smoothly.

Second pregnancy
“Last year, we decided to have another baby. After I discovered that I was pregnant, I
went to a new hospital for routine antenatal checks. Over there, they didn’t check
my blood type, and I didn’t bother to transfer my medical records to them.

“As the pregnancy progressed, I noticed that I was always feeling dizzy, sick, and
nauseated. So I went to the hospital to complain about the symptoms. After checking me,
the doctor said I was dehydrated and gave me some injections.

Rh Factor blood group

The bleeding experience
On November 1, 2022, I noticed that I was bleeding in the middle of the night.
When I told my husband what was happening, we prayed together and believed
that everything would be fine.

“In the morning, we went back to the hospital. It was at this point that the doctor asked about my blood type. After I told her, she also asked if I had taken a RhoGAM shot during this pregnancy, and I said ‘No’.

“The next thing she said was, ‘You have probably lost the baby. However, we will
conduct an ultrasound, after which we will refer you to a bigger hospital for the
RhoGAM shot.’

On April 16, I woke up at 2 a.m. and started throwing up. I vomited more than 25 times, and later, I started vomiting blood

“For some reasons, I didn’t like the way she spoke, and we just decided to proceed to
UCHealth Memorial Hospital North, in Colorado Springs. It was a very long drive, and when we finally got there, the doctors were nice. They did an ultrasound, and, thankfully, my
baby was still alive.

RhoGAM shot, yet no respite
“After I took the RhoGAM shot, we thought the worst was over. However, after I was discharged, I got sicker by the day. I could barely talk; the fatigue was indescribable. I was palpitating, and my heart was pounding loudly. We had to go back to the hospital. I was told to always rest and never lift up any item.

“So, I was not allowed to cook, do the dishes, or even carry my daughter, Zion. I
was always either sitting or lying down. I was also told that I shouldn’t travel long
distance. I obeyed all the instructions.

“Later on, when we went for a checkup, a new doctor told me that I was fine, but deep inside, I was still feeling very weak. Four days later, I made the mistake of lifting my two-year-old daughter when she was trying to climb the bed, and two hours later, I started bleeding again.

“We had to rush to the hospital, and another ultrasound was done. Fortunately, my baby
was still there. I was given some drugs and told to avoid anything that could trigger
the bleeding.”

The placenta previa experience
In December 2022, I experienced unexplained bleeding. By January 2023, it recurred, and I was diagnosed with placenta previa. This condition involves the abnormal placement of the placenta, increasing the risk of severe and unpredictable bleeding. I was told that if the placenta didn’t move to the right position, they
would have to bring the baby out before full term.

I couldn’t breathe properly at some point. I was also feeling suffocated… This time, they said the amniotic fluid was in excess and needed to be drained

“So, we started praying fervently against every form of complications.
In February, I bled again. And, despite the fact that I was on bed rest, I was still feeling very weak and dizzy. My legs were swollen due to sitting for so long. We had to
hire the services of a masseuse. I couldn’t go to church or even take a walk. Some
days, I felt so tired of everything, but I thank God for my husband, who was
always encouraging me.

“On April 16th, 2023, I woke up at 2 a.m. and started throwing up. I vomited more
than 25 times, and after all the food had come out, I started vomiting blood. My
husband quickly called 911, and I was rushed to the hospital. The doctors said my
intestines had torn, and that was why I was vomiting blood. I kept asking them if
my baby was okay but I didn’t get a reply.

“Fortunately, they were able to arrest the situation, and my baby, too, was safe. By
May 2023, I was told that the placenta had moved to the rightful position, and we
were so happy when we got the news. So, for some time, I felt a bit better and was
able to do a pregnancy shoot and all that.

“However, later on, I noticed that I couldn’t breathe properly. I was also feeling suffocated, even in a well-ventilated room. We had to go back to the hospital again, and this time, they said the amniotic fluid was in excess and needed to be drained. We didn’t give our consent to the draining procedure; we just went home and kept praying. Did it get better? Not

After my baby was delivered, I thought the battle was over. However, I was wrong

The birth of my son
Since I was experiencing breathing difficulties, in June 2023, my husband gave his
consent for a cesarean section. After my baby was delivered, I felt the battle was
over. However, I was wrong.

“As part of the routine, they placed my son on my chest for skin-to-skin contact. As I was carrying him, suddenly, I noticed that I couldn’t breathe. I started gasping for air and was slowly passing out. When one of the nurses saw what was going on, she quickly placed an oxygen mask on my face and alerted the doctors.

“Over 15 doctors came into the room, and more equipment were brought into the room to run a check on me. Yet they couldn’t ascertain what the problem was.

“I was moved to another diagnostic room, and after a thorough check, they
discovered that I was experiencing internal bleeding and that there were blood
clots, too. Wow! While they were wheeling me into the theater for another surgery, I could
see the nervousness in the eyes of everyone, including the doctors.

They told my husband that death was a probability

“They even told my husband that death was a probability. So, he kept praying and believing God. I was placed under anesthesia and was asleep throughout the surgery. I almost died!

“My blood pressure and oxygen level got so low, but God came through for us, and the surgery was successful. After the surgery, while I was recuperating, most of the doctors that came to see me kept saying that I am alive today because of miracle.

“Many women have died due to complications during pregnancy and childbirth, so I am forever grateful to God for granting me a second chance at life.”

+ posts

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected


Latest Articles