Jollof rice is one of the most popular Nigerian recipes; it’s fun to prepare, sweeter to eat and excellent as a family or party meal. Are you looking to prepare the classic Nigerian jollof rice recipe? Let’s take a look at this recipe from Iya magazine – it’s fast, easy to prepare and, of course, tasty; let’s go.
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins.
Total Time: 2 hours
- 4 large red bell peppers with seeds removed
- 3 medium thinly sliced red onions
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Salt, to taste
- Black and white pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 medium fresh chopped tomatoes
- Hot pepper to taste
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups uncooked basmati rice, rinsed
- Chicken or beef
- Blend tomatoes, onions, and chopped red bell peppers with two cups of stock in a blender until smooth. Boil in a large pot, then reduce the heat and leave to boil for another 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a big frying pan and add the cut onions. Season with a sprinkle of salt and stir-fry for 3 minutes on medium heat before adding the curry powder, dried thyme, and a bit of black pepper.
- After that, mix in the tomato paste for extra 2 minutes. And boil on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Cook for 2 minutes with 4 cups of stock added to the prepared tomato sauce.
- Stir in the washed rice, then cover the pan but reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30minutes of cooking time, open and stir.
- Then after this, you can add your cooked or fried beef or chicken and stir for 2 minutes.
- Allow it to simmer in low heat and serve.