Fish rolls do not get any better than this!
The Nigerian fish roll recipe is a tasty one that can serve as a simple snack that kids take to school; or as a simple appetizer recipe for the family.
With no bad aftertaste, and a healthy mix, you have everything in one recipe.
Prep time: 25 mins.
Cook time: 40 mins.
Total time: 1 hr. 5 mins.
Servings: 5 people
● One tablespoonful of sugar
● Vegetable oil for frying
● ½ teaspoon of thyme
● One seasoning cube
● One onion bulb
● One big egg
● ½ teaspoon of salt
● 360 grams of Flour
● salt to taste
● 100 grams margarine
● One teaspoon of garlic powder
● ½ teaspoon of curry powder
● ¼ teaspoon of hot pepper
● One canned tuna – Titus
● One grated medium sized carrot
● ½ cup of water
● One teaspoon of baking powder
1. Spice up your fresh mackerel with a pinch of garlic powder, curry powder, thyme, half of a seasoning cube, and a little of salt.
2. Put the fish with the seasonings in a pot with some water and bring it to a boil. Make sure the fish is cooked all the way through.
3. With a fork, mash the fish after removing it from the stock and picking out any bones. It is not necessary to boil the fish before mashing if you use canned fish. Put aside for the moment.
4. In a skillet, heat the two tablespoons of oil. Mix in the garlic powder and minced onions. Cook the onions in a stir-fry until they turn transparent.
5. Toss the grated carrot into the pan and keep cooking. Then, mix in the fish mash, the hot pepper, the other half of the seasoning cube, and some salt to taste.
6. For best results, stir-fry for just a few seconds to allow flavors to mix together. Put the mixture in a bowl and put it in the fridge to cool down.
7. Combine the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. To make a crumbly batter, add the margarine and stir until combined.
8. Add the beaten egg gradually while continuing to stir. Slowly incorporate water into the dough until it can be handled.
9. Place the dough on a clean, dry surface and beat it for three minutes, or until it is smooth and firm. Let the dough rest for five minutes in a covered bowl.
10. Spread the dough out on the counter, and use a knife to remove a small piece. Roll out the small ball of dough until it’s about the size of a rectangle.
11. Fill the flattened dough with fish, then roll it up and seal the edges. The dough can be rolled to the desired thickness and length.
12. Roll out the rest of the dough and save it for later.
13. Prepare a frying pan with hot oil. Rolls should be fried in hot oil until they are golden and crispy.
14. Take the fried rolls out of the oil and place them on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
15. Your crispy fish rolls can now be served immediately.
Please note that the seasoning can be adjusted to suit your own taste.
Egg fried rice
Don’t just eat fried rice; take it up a notch by adding scrambled eggs to the rice. Believe me when I say that everyone is going to love this recipe.
Prep time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Servings: 4 people
● Three tablespoons of vegetable oil
● One small onion – diced
● A dash of ground white pepper
● Two teaspoons of toasted sesame oil
● Four large eggs
● A pinch of salt
● Two cups of diced mixed vegetables (cucumber, carrots, bell pepper)
● ½ cup of sliced spring onions
● 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
● Four cups of cooked rice (left overnight)
1. To prepare the eggs, crack them into a bowl and whisk them.
2. Prepare the vegetables by heating one tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
3. When the pan is heated, add the eggs and stir for a minute or so until they are scrambled.
4. Take the eggs from the heat and put them in a plate.
5. Put the pan over high heat and add the extra two tablespoons of oil. After about two minutes of continual stirring, the onions should be ready to be added.
6. Mix in the frozen vegetables and the scallion whites, and let them cook for two minutes. Add a little salt to the vegetables.
7. Put the rice that has already been cooked into the frying pan and continue to stir-fry it for a few minutes, until it has reached the desired temperature. The back of the spatula can be used to break up clusters of rice.
8. Put in a dash of white pepper, a splash of sesame oil, and a splash of soy sauce, and mix until everything is evenly seasoned.
9. Add the scrambled eggs and stir again to incorporate.
10. Serve right away.