25.5 C
New York
Monday, June 24, 2024

Two women struck dead by lightning in Lagos

Two women were reportedly struck by lightning during the Friday rainfall in Festac area of Lagos State.

This was according to a statement posted on X by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Benjamin Hundeyin.

Hundeyin said the women, who lived in a shanty built under high-voltage cables on First Avenue in Festac, were indoors during the downpour. Suddenly, a lightning bolt struck the wires, burning down their shanty.

Hundeyin tweeted: “May their souls rest in peace. Somewhere on First Avenue, FESTAC, two women remained indoors during the downpour yesterday. Lightning struck, electrocuting them instantly and causing a fire outbreak. They lived in a shanty built under high-voltage wires.”

Reacting to the sad news, many netizens expressed themselves in the comment section. An X user identified as Doverun blamed the government for the tragic loss.

“The state failed by not removing the hazard (shanty under high-voltage wires). Similarly, our road safety never makes the road safe for travelers; instead, they will ask for a fire extinguisher or a triangle so that when you have an accident due to a massive pothole, you can place it.” He stated.

Also Read  Ex-NUPENG scribe Kokori's family unveils burial plans

Another X user identified as Daniel D said, “May their souls rest in peace. This is a big hazard – living under high-tension wires. The government needs to enforce the evacuation of people living or doing business under high-tension wires.”

Floral the Explorer, another user, lamented that the tragic loss of life could have been prevented if the government had implemented affordable housing policies for its citizens.

+ posts

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

3,500FansLike
3,028FollowersFollow
500FollowersFollow

Latest Articles