A second-term Member of the House of Representatives representing Ikenne/Sagamu/Remo North Federal Constituency, Adewumi Onanuga, has emerged as the only female principal officer in the 10th Assembly.
Onanuga was announced Deputy Chief Whip of the House of Representatives.
The female lawmaker was among the eight Principal Officers of the House announced by Speaker Tajudeen Abbas at the Green Chamber.
The 57-year-old female lawmaker had chaired the House Committee on Women Affairs and Social Development in the Ninth Assembly.
As announced by the Presiding Officer, Rep. Julius Ihonvbere (APC, Edo) and Rep. Bello Usman Kumo (APC, Gombe) emerged as Leader of the House and Chief Whip respectively; while Rep. Abdullahi Ibrahim Halims (APC, Kogi) and Rep. Adewunmi Oriyomi Onanuga (APC, Ogun) are Deputy Leader and Deputy Chief Whip respectively.
For the leadership of the Minority Caucus, Rep. Kingsley Chinda (PDP, Rivers) and Rep. Ali Isa (PDP, Gombe) were appointed Leader of the House and Chief Whip, respectively. The smaller minority parties further got a huge boost as Rep. Ali Madaki (NNPP, Kano) and George Ozodinobi (LP, Anambra) emerged as Deputy Minority Leader and Deputy Minority Whip, respectively.
Before Onanuga, Nkeiruka Onyejocha of Isuikwuato/Umunneochi Federal Constituency, Abia State held the position in the Ninth Assembly.
Five things to know about Onanuga
• Onanuga is also the only female Principal Officer in the Tenth National Assembly.
• She defeated her closest rival, Bola Oluwole of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP), by 8,028 votes to win the seat at the general elections
• She is the only female federal lawmaker from Ogun State in both the Ninth and Tenth National Assembly.
• She has a Master of Business Administration from the Business School of Netherlands.
• She sponsored four bills between June 2019 and May 2022.