By Femi Paseda
Spring rolls have become popular in Nigerian snacks, which we all have come to enjoy. It is mostly served at parties and wedding receptions but is also an everyday snack we see in many parts of Lagos and its environs. Are you looking to know how to prepare spring rolls? Here is a simple recipe you can follow for excellent results; trust me, you will not be disappointed.
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
Total Time: 1hr 15mins.
Servings: 50 spring rolls
- 1 lb Ground turkey
- 25 medium spring roll sheets
- 1 tsp of hot cayenne pepper
- ½ medium sliced onion
- 1 medium shredded carrot
- Oil for frying
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 chopped clove garlic
- ½ small shredded cabbage
- 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour (for sealing)
- 1 tbsp of water (for sealing)
- To prepare the filling for the spring rolls, heat the oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat and cook the onions until transparent – about two minutes will do.
- Then, after two more minutes of sautéing, stir in the garlic.
- Combine the minced turkey and raise the temperature to high. Keep sautéing, frequently stirring, until the meat changes colour to light brown.
- After the beef is browned, season it with cayenne pepper, soy sauce, salt, and black pepper. Lower the heat to medium and keep sautéing for yet another three minutes.
- Add in the shredded carrots and cabbage, bring the heat back up to high, and continue to stir fry for another four minutes. To prevent the food in the pan from burning, constant stirring is required. If it starts to brown too quickly, reduce the heat to medium.
- The cabbage and carrots ought to have shrunk after being heated for four minutes. You may now remove the filling for the spring rolls from the heat and let it cool fully.
- Mix the water and flour to make a thick paste just before putting together the spring rolls.
- Once the filling has cooled fully, fill and fold the spring roll wrappers using one tablespoon of filling for each sheet using the flour paste. If you have any leftover spring roll wrappers, store them beneath a moist cloth to prevent them from drying out.
- Wrap the prepared spring rolls in plastic and set them aside until you’re ready to fry them. If they aren’t used right away, you may freeze them on a tray and put them in a zipper bag or container after they’re solid.
- Fry the spring rolls in oil heated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid crowding the pan and fry the spring rolls and fry for six minutes total, rotating halfway through.
- When the spring rolls are done cooking, remove them from the oil, let them drain oil for five minutes, and then serve.