By Femi Paseda
Shawarma seems like a National cake in Nigeria, and there’s virtually no part of the nation you visit without a shawarma spot ready to give you a bite of this tasty recipe. However, while some know how to perfectly prepare this sweet and interesting meal, a lot of them really don’t get it right, and you wonder the reason why you even decided to purchase it in the first place. Do you want to know how to prepare your extra sweet Nigerian shawarma at home? Read on for this special and easy recipe from “Iya magazine.”
Prep Time: 2 hrs.
Cook Time: 30 mins.
Total Time: 2hrs 30 mins.
Servings: 8 People
1 person – if you want more, then you would need to up the ingredients based on your needs.
- 250g of chicken breast or thighs (boneless)
- ¼ teaspoon of allspice powder
- 1½ tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder – pepper
- 1½ minced garlic cloves
- Shawarma bread – tortilla wraps
- Lettuce, as needed
- 1 Sausage – air-fried
- 1 tomato, deseeded – optional
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Red chilli pepper (optional)
1. Cut your boneless chicken thighs or breasts into bite-sized pieces.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the minced garlic, olive oil, ground coriander, allspice powder, and chilli powder. Mix thoroughly to get a thick paste.
3. Marinate your chicken thoroughly. Chill for 12 hours or overnight, covered in a sealed bag.
4. Then grill the marinated chicken in the oven, using a grill pan or a nonstick pan.
5. Place the chicken pieces in a nonstick pan with 12 tbsp oil over medium heat, without crowding. Cook until both sides are equally done.
6. Heat your deseeded tomatoes in a nonstick pan until lightly browned.
7. To make the sauce, combine ketchup, mayonnaise, and a pinch of cayenne pepper/red chilli flakes as required (optional).
8. Spread the sauce evenly on the tortilla wraps before adding the lettuce. Arrange chunks of chicken, grilled tomatoes, and sausage on lettuce and wrap in foil or paper.
9. You can keep the folded side warm in the oven or brown it on a bottom pan or grill. Remove from the heat and serve!
As simple as ABC, you can enjoy healthy and well-prepared shawarma today.
xing bowl, combine the minced garlic, olive oil, ground coriander, allspice powder, and chilli powder. Mix thoroughly to get a thick paste.