By Femi Paseda
A lot of things we – some of which we can help and others not so much – can cause a lot of lower back pain for us as women. From pregnancy to the kind of work we do and the stressful activities we engage in, we all experience a measure of back pain. A lot of us feel like we need a measure of rest, while some others result in using medical treatments like “Agbo.”
The bone of contention here is that we can relieve whatever waist pain we are feeling with the use of certain exercises and movements but not every one of them. Here are some of the best exercises we can use as women to relieve lower back pains right now:
1. Partial Crunches
Crunches help the body a lot as an exercise, but one exercise great for proper relief of back pains is partial crunches. This helps to strengthen the stomach and relieve the pains we feel in our lower back. All you need to do is:
- Lie your back down
- Bend your knees
- Put your hands crossed behind your back.
- Raise your shoulders, tighten your stomach muscles and breathe out.
Once you are done breathing out (3 seconds), you can lower your hands. You can repeat this for 12 reps and then lie flat. You will feel relief before waking up in the morning.
2. Hamstring Stretches
Another exercise you need to relieve your lower back pains is the hamstring stretch. This works because this exercise helps to relieve pains in the muscles in the lower side of the back of your thighs which support your hips. To perform the hamstring stretch, you need to do the following:
- Lie on your back with one knee bent upwards.
- On the other leg, which is not bent, place a towel over the underside of your feet.
- Use both hands to pull on your leg till your knee is totally straight.
- Hold this position for about 15 seconds.
- Repeat the process at least five times for each leg.
3. Wall Sits
Another essential exercise that can help relieve back pain is wall sitting. This keeps your back feeling comfortable, especially after sitting for hours in an office which causes a lot of back pain for us as women. To complete the wall sit, you need to do the following:
- Stand with your back facing a wall at a distance of about 12 inches.
- Then lean on the wall ensuring your back is flat against the wall.
- Then slowly slide down the wall till you have your knees slightly bent.
- Stay in this position with your back firmly bent on the wall.
- Hold this position for about 10 seconds, then go back up. Depending on you, this process can be repeated about 10 to 12 times.
These are some of the best exercises you can engage in without supervision or the need of an instructor, and they can be done anywhere, including in your home. You can also go for a swim as it also helps reduce any form of waist pains we experience. As a woman, you do not have to keep up with waist pains; take up these exercise routines and watch your body thank you for it.