By Femi Paseda
Do you love scent leaves? Of course, you do. It adds that extra bit of spice to every recipe leaving you searching for more. To add spice to your day, we will be preparing the green tomato and scent leaf stew. This is a recipe for the ages and one to savour for a long time.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 30 mins.
Total Time: 40 mins.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1½lb cooked chicken
- 8 green tomatoes
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1½ small onion
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 1 piece of ogili okpei
- 2½ cups meat stock
- 3 habaneros
- 1 cooking spoon of palm oil
- 1 handful of sliced scent leaf
- Blend the bell pepper, Ose, tomatoes, garlic, and 1 onion until smooth, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any residual water.
- Then, thinly slice the onion and set it aside; toast the ogili over an open flame until you can smell it. If you do not have an open flame, you can do it in a pot till you can perceive it.
- Heat the palm oil until it is extremely hot before adding the other oil and the onion. Sauté the onion until it is transparent, then add the ogili and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the tomato mixture to fully mix with the oil. Cook covered with a lid with the beef stock added to the mix. When the oil begins to rise to the surface of the stew, add the cooked chicken and continue to simmer until the oil has risen to the surface.
- Cook for another 3 minutes with the scent leaves before serving with any solid.